Saturday, February 2, 2013

Candied Honey Pecans: Seasoned with some bite!

Great Super Bowl or anytime Snack!   I made them with pecans but you can do them with walnuts too!  

It's that time of the year when roasted chestnuts, an open fire and Mom's Spiced Pecan's Recipe come to my mind.  It's a tradition along with pumpkin and apple pie.  I vary my menu but for sure the pecans will be made. 
http://iliketobakeandcook.blogspot.com/2011/11/spiced-pecans.html

It has become a tradition to make these easy sugary delights for Thanksgiving and Christmas and sometime in between.

This year I'll be making her recipe just in time for Christmas but today I thought I'd try this new Candied Pecan recipe.




I saw this recipe in a magazine recently and it called for you to saute or fry in butter with lots of good spices, sugar and salt, pecan halves.  This recipe seemed so easy I thought I'd give it a whirl today.

Lightly sweetened with just the right amount of seasoning hubby and I finished the whole two cups I made.  Note:  They are addicting so maybe you should double or triple the recipe.  They'll be gone 1 2 3!!!  They were absolutely wonderful!! The touch of honey really enhanced the pecans flavor! 


 If you like spicy add plenty of cayenne pepper for sure. I thought I'd make a few cups to give it a try for something a little different but still easy to do!


2 T unsalted butter
2 cups pecan halves(unsalted)
4 T granulated sugar
Generous pinch of ground cinnamon, paprika, cayenne pepper and Kosher salt
4 tsp. honey


Cook in skillet over medium heat, adding butter,  pecans and sugar, then spices and salt.


Melt butter in skillet over medium heat and add butter, pecan halves and sugar. Cook or (fry) slowly while adding spices and salt.
 Toss the pecans to coat them well and cook (fry) until they start turning shiny and brown.  Approximately 5 minutes.

Remove from heat .  Wait 30 seconds, then add 4 tsp. honey, tossing well to coat the pecans.  Spread on plate and Cool.. Note:  I used parchment paper on the bottom of a cookie sheet for less mess!

Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,


M.J.


11/15/12
2/2/13


No comments: