Monday, August 17, 2020

Chicken Salad with grapes and pecans

 2 bone in or boneless chicken breasts 
Salt
Celery 
Carrots water

Place all ingredients in cold water and cook until chicken is fork tender.




Chicken salad

Chicken cooled and either shredded or cubed 
Equal amounts of mayonnaise and miracle whip
Pinch salt
Several pinches of onion powder 
Diced celery 
Halved red grapes
Chopped pecans 


I boil my chicken as it has duel

Purpose.  I get chicken broth and I use the chicken for recipes. I use bone in chicken breasts, but you could use boneless chicken, carrots , celery, salt to make broth.  Allow to cook until chicken is tender. 

 Remove chicken from broth.  


Allow to cool and I shred or cube the chicken.  Add diced celery, mayo and miracle whip combined to my taste . A pinch or two of onion powder and mix well.  I then add chopped pecans and red grapes cut 

in half and stir gently to combine.


Note:  You can also boil the chicken in water with a little salt until tender and discard liquid.  


Some may like to bake chicken but I like to boil and then cool.  You don’t have to do both that day. You can refrigerate the chicken until the next day if necessary.


  I find making large quantities and once the chicken is cooled and shredded I also freeze shredded chicken in bags for other meals.  


I have used my frozen and defrosted shredded chicken in chicken salad and other recipes that call for cooked chicken.  




No comments: