Friday, April 27, 2012

My try at Baking Tilapia

 I made Baked Tilapia on Wednesday!  I wanted to have a guilt free eating spree on Thursday so fish, I was thinking, might be the right choice.  Here is my attempt AGAIN for fresh fish..  Enjoy!

Today I decided I was going to bake myself and hubby some fresh fish.  Tilapia was the fish of choice.  It was fresh at the market and I wanted to make sure I was getting FRESH.  I talked with the person in the seafood dept. and she suggested the Tilapia.  Mild in taste!  I am all for MILD!!!

I'll post the amount of fish I used and the seasonings.

  To start off in a good frame of mind I felt that using olive oil and garlic might just be the right seasoning to compliment this type fish.  Just guessing though!  My hubby thought I should coat it with breadcrumbs and grated cheese.  He has eaten Tilapia that was breaded and smothered in vodka sauce. I didn't want to make it that way since I was trying to slowly feel my way into fish preparation.  Maybe sometime in the future but today I wanted to start off slowly to get my feel of how to bake it to perfection.  Here goes:

About 1 lb. Tilapia filets (I think I could have used 3/4 lb.)
lots of garlic (about 3 cloves, minced)
about 1/4 or less of olive oil
thyme (I had fresh ) several sprigs
pinch of oregano
salt and pepper to taste (I added salt before I baked it)



I sprayed a glass baking dish with cooking spray, placing the Tilapia evenly in the dish.  Drizzled the oil and garlic over the Tilapia and put a few sprigs of thyme, pinch of oregano and salt and pepper.  Baked for about 15 minutes.  The filets were light in color and when I tested a piece with a fork it flaked so I figured it was done.  Served it over Rice Pilaf with a few sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and basil. **  Lemon wedge too!  They say you can't eat fish without some lemon.

My thought on Tilapia at the moment is that it doesn't really have any taste.  I am happy I chose to add the garlic and thyme for sure!


I'm still no fish lover but I'm trying :) Next time I'm making crunchy Flounder! Until then,

Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

M.J.

No comments: