Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An Introduction to Kale! Recipe to follow

I for one haven't eaten Kale before.  Can't tell you why but I guess the reason has been I thought it was a garnish..I knew it was eatable but I had never thought of how I might prepare it.  Today I will start with a little introduction on my first experience cleaning and cutting Kale.

I decided to research it a bit and found it to be known now as a Super Food.  Rich in Vitamin A, C.  Loaded with antioxidants, calcium and soluble fiber..Sound good to you?  It sure does to me.

Kale belongs to the Brassica family which includes cabbage, collard greens and brussel sprouts.  It has a mild flavor and after tasting a bit of it raw I think it definitely belongs in that family.  I love all in the cabbage family so I am pretty sure I'm going to like it especially since it can be sauteed with garlic and olive oil too!

 Here are some illustrations to show how easy it is to clean.  Hopefully this will encourage you to include it in one of your meals. There are several recipes that I have found; the latest was in one of my magazines.  I'll be posting it as soon as I get a chance.  The kale is all washed and ready to go, I just need to stay home!!!  A very busy week for me.  Enjoy!

 Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours!

Look for bright green color.  It's curly too!






 Cutting or breaking in pieces.  If breaking in pieces tear in pieces as you would leaf lettuce.

From my kitchen to yours,


1 comment:

Denise said...

Mmmm, Kale is one of my favorites! You should try Kale chips! They only take 20 minutes or less and are delicious. One quote about the nutritional value of Kale that I stuck with me is that "kale makes broccoli look like doritos" :-) I have a recipe for kale chips on my blog or they are all over the place :-) Hope you have time to try out kale soon!