Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chicken and Stuffing Casserole: I use either Chicken or Turkey: Repost

 I thought I'd post this recipe before Thanksgiving for those of you who might need some hints on what to make for Thanksgiving if you aren't fond of Turkey..I know my Dad wasn't(true blooded Italian and it wasn't a meal unless pasta was part of it) and Mom had to make him pasta as a side to please him.. That's another story! for another time! 

I have made this recipe many times and even though Thanksgiving is next week; I made it for our grandchildren, using  cooked chicken) the other day!!!

Mom's working so Grandma (Grammy) is making dinner for the grandchildren and surprising them!!  Poppy will be the Hot Meal Delivery Guy today...Living close to my grandchildren is wonderful but even though we are around 10 miles in distance getting to see them is difficult so today Poppy and I are making an effort to get them a meal they love...  This meal is wonderful and you can make it as the recipe calls for or save the recipe and use with leftover Thanksgiving Turkey!!! ( Dice some leftover turkey and freeze it and make this recipe when you are looking for comfort food meal).   Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours..:


Butter casserole dish and place bread stuffing and then chicken.  Pour chicken soup mixture over chicken and bake. 



Chicken and stuffing Casserole

12 oz.toasted bread cubes
3 cups or more cooked diced chicken( or leftover Thanksgiving turkey)
½ cup butter
1 small onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 tsp. salt
pinch pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth(divided)
3 eggs slightly beaten
1 can cream of chicken soup

In a medium pan saute butter, celery and onion until tender. Cool slightly.  In a large bowl place bread cubes, salt, milk, beaten eggs and  1 cup chicken broth..add butter, celery onion mixture.. Working with a fork or hands mix until well blended.  Place bread mixture in the  bottom of a 9 x 13 inch greased baking dish. Cover with cooked chicken…

In a separate pan over low heat place cream of chicken soup and 1 cup(can) chicken broth...Whisk until blended..pour over cooked chicken..Bake 325 covered 45 minutes..Set for about 5 minutes before serving

Note:   OOPS !!!I slipped and forgot to take a picture of the finished casserole. Take it from me it was delicious, moist,creamy but set just right to either scoop or cut in squares......Yummy!!

P.S. My own creation! Using my stuffing recipe!

2 comments:

Melissa Placzek said...

Looks fabulous!

~Melissa
www.ChinDeep.com

xoxo

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thanks for commenting..The kids loved it!