Friday, February 17, 2012

Custard Rice Pudding #2 One of the many recipes to choose from



Baked!!!


I was looking through a very old Betty Crocker cook book of mine and remember how I used to make this custard rice pudding often. I  prefer the custard version to the creamy one but make both.  I altered it by adding a few more eggs to the recipe and used a smaller 13 x9 baking dish.  I love how the custard rises to the top.  Note: If you like sweet increase sugar to 1 cup..

6 eggs beaten thoroughly
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
3 cups whole milk
pinch salt
2 1/4 cups cooked rice
1 tsp. vanilla
sprinkle of cinnamon on top before baking

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 13 x9 inch baking dish .  Spread cooked rice on bottom of baking dish..  Beat eggs and sugar, add milk, pinch of salt  and vanilla. Whisk to combine.  Pour slowly over rice.  Place baking dish in a pan of hot water and bake approximately one hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

 M.J.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - I LOVE vintage cookbooks! I just made 2 things the other day from one...some of the classic recipes are classics for a reason....SO good! Rice pudding looks delicious!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thanks for commenting..I'm checking out some others as well..you are so right classic recipes are keepers!!