Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Easy vegetable beef soup


Easy vegetable beef soup.

FYI:  dicing your vegetables in advance saves a lot of time.  I use my handy chopper and make several bags to have on hand fir soups like this.


I am posting the recipe as it was written but I adapted it to my liking.

 I followed the recipe pretty much for the exception of I used ground beef and I used 4 cups beef broth and 2 cups vegetable broth.  I also cut back on wine to 1/8 cup and cooked it in a Dutch oven on top of the stove and  not a crockpot.

Crockpot is good for those that want to use stew meat.

Yummy soup!




   1 ½ pounds lean beef stew meat
   1 tablespoon cooking oil
   2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
   1 cup chopped yellow onions
   1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
   3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
   3/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
   6 cups (1.5 L) beef broth
   1/4 cup (60 ml) dry red wine
   1/2 cup quick-cooking yellow rice




Cut any large pieces of stew meat. In a large nonstick skillet, heat cooking oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the meat, turning occasionally, until browned. Drain off the fat.
Step 2

In a 6-quart (6 L) slow cooker, combine carrots, onions, garlic, thyme, and basil. Stir well. Place browned beef over vegetables. Pour the broth and dry red wine over all.
Step 3

Cover the pot and cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
Step 4

Open the lid. Stir in quick-cooking rice. Cover the cooker and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Step 5

NOTE:  I made my own yellow rice and made it earlier so I just added right before serving.

To make yellow rice:



I cup white rice
Pinch salt
3 cups water
1tsp. Turmeric
Bring to boil. Lower heat and stir until rice is tender.  Rinse with cold water and drain.

Turn off the slow cooker and open the lid. Stir the soup well before serving. ladle into soup bowls. Serve hot. 



No comments: