Monday, February 11, 2019

Chicken Mozzarella Ravioli!

Another Ravioli recipe !  So good!



I have posted recipes for Nana's and Mom's Ravioli which I have made many times as well as their pasta dough recipe too!  Great Recipes from great ladies!  Nana made her chicken ravioli with spinach.  Mom made her meat ravioli with swiss chard or spinach.   Today I thought I'd try making chicken ravioli with freshly shredded mozzarella cheese and some seasonings. It's my way!




It was very cold and snowy and I planned on staying in so browsing in my freezer I came across some chicken parts along with a few split chicken breasts that I thought would make a great pot of homemade chicken soup.  Perfect for this day!  Carrots, celery and onion simmering for several hours with chicken. After I strained the soup( I always do) I added some cooked small  pasta along with some shredded chicken and chopped carrots.  Delish!





When I make soup; whether it is chicken or beef , I shred some of the chicken or beef pieces and carrots to place in the soup to eat.

  At that point  I realized I had a lot of chicken; too much to use at one time, so after the chicken was completely cooled I placed approx.

 I placed 2 cups of the shredded chicken in my food processor along with 1 egg, 1 tsp. parsley, pinch of salt and pepper, pinch garlic powder, pinch onion powder, 1/2 cup freshly grated bread crumbs, 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, approximately 3/4 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese and approximately *1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth.

  ***Just enough to moisten the chicken mixture. The mixture will be firm to the touch and easily spooned into dough squares.
 *Note:  you can use a little water if you don't have chicken broth.

Cook's note:  I grate my mozzarella from a mozzarella ball but I am sure pre-packaged Mozzarella would work well too or some smokey mozzarella maybe!!





Chicken mozzarella filling


***** After placing 1/2 tsp. filling in center of dough, seal and score edges.  When ready to serve place ravioli in a large pot  of salted water that you have brought to a rapid boil; add ravioli stirring gently . Cook ravioli until tender and ravioli have risen to top.  Approx. 10 to 15 minutes.  Serve with Sauce of choice.  I haven't decided what sauce I'll be using for these Ravioli.

Suggestions please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I used my basic dough mixture which is:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 shot glass water
1 shot glass olive oil

Using an electric mixer beat eggs together with salt, water and oil.   Slowly add flour 1 cup at a time (2 cups total).  (I use dough attachment) until desired consistency.  Add last 1/2 cup as you are working the dough on your cutting board. Depending on what brand flour you are using you may have to add a little more than 1/2 cup.  After dough forms a ball;  cover with plastic wrap and let set for several minutes to allow dough to rest.

Cut in 1/2 inch sections, pat with flour and place through pasta machine several times.  I work from thickest to medium thickness for my ravioli dough. Cut in square pieces, place approx. 1/2 tsp. chicken filling in center. Close to seal and score with fork around edges. (illustration above) Place on floured cookie sheet and place in freezer until frozen.  Transfer to zip lock bag and freeze until ready to use.

I doubled the above and made approx. 80 ravioli.



I have been using the shot glass on the right for measuring.  It seems to be a bit smaller than the one on the left.  I am sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused (you may need to adjust flour amount). The one on the right is circa 1967..I guess shots were smaller then lol

Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,





11/28/12
3/28/13
11/1/15



No comments: