Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Beef Barley soup with veggies, Recipe 2

New photos 10/9/2023



Note: this can easily be made in a ****crockpot on low for 4 to 6 hours depending on your crockpot.  If necessary add extra broth to thin when serving.

****Increase broth by 1 1/2 cups and decrease barley by 1/2 cup. also I would suggest browning meat first before placing in crockpot. The reason for this is that the barley absorbs liquid.


I've made beef barley soup before but today I decided to try one very similar to the back of the barley box I recently purchased. Mine is a bit different since I don't use bouillon cubes in my adapted recipe and I add parsley as well.

I doubled the recipe because I knew I'd be going to be eating soup for a few days. (1) one it's cold outside and (2) I have a cold.


Most times a basic cold doesn't stop me from moving and my desire to eat homemade always uppermost in my mind.

10/27/17

Here goes.

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground beef

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 clove minced garlic
2- 32 oz. beef broth
1- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes juice included
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1 1/4 cup dried barley
1 small bay left (optional)

Saute onions, carrots and celery in about 1 T. olive oil for a few minutes. Add garlic and ground beef. Cook until beef is no longer red,  add tomatoes, broth, basil, parsley and barley. Cook on low simmer until barley has thickened the broth slightly. If you find it is too thick you can add either some water or more beef broth.


This recipe is cooked and ready to eat in about 20 to 30 minutes cooking it on your stove.


Enjoy!







 

No comments: