Thursday, August 2, 2018

Chicken, Red Beets, Apple and White Bean Salad! Kale too!

I had never eaten Kale but have been told by many it is so good so when I saw this recipe in Family Circle I figured it was time to try a recipe that most of the ingredients in it appealed to me.  While I was at the grocery store the produce manager was filling his section with lots of beautiful veggies so I asked him what he thought about Kale and he told me he loves it with eggs and peppers in his morning omelet..He told me it really is tasty and people frown at it but it is soooooo good for you.  (as in healthy) ( I adapted this recipe to my liking opting not to roast the beets and using canned. I used some lightly sauteed boneless chicken breasts to make it more meal appealing.  Hope you enjoy!



 Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

 
M.J.



Here goes the recipe.

3 beets (about 1 lb.) halved (I used(one)can drained ) 
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 plus 1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 shallot, finely diced (scallion would be fine)
1 bunch Kale (about 1 lb., tough stems removed and sliced in 1/4 inch strips(Mine was curly but I'm thinking there are other varieties)
 1 can 15 oz. cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup diced ricotta salata or crumbled feta cheese (I used feta)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts sauteed in light amount of cooking spray
 ( Note:  You can substitute other salad greens if you don't care for Kale)



If using fresh beets roast with olive oil (2 tablespoons)at 425 degrees with salt and pepper on baking sheet for approx. 35 minutes until knife tender..Allow to cool and remove skins.Cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Dressing:

In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, shallot, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.  Slowly whisk in 1/3 cup olive oil.

Toss Kale with half the dressing.  Arrange on a platter with chicken, beets, beans and apple..Scatter cheese on top and drizzle with remaining dressing.

Note:  The longer kale sits in your fridge, the more bitter-tasting it will become. For best flavor, use within two days of purchase.


*All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook 2012, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.

6/12/12

No comments: