Monday, July 16, 2018

Scratch Vanilla Cupcakes

I have been so dying to make these cupcakes.  Why?  Just because I don't like box vanilla cakes. I can deal with chocolate cake mixes but for some reason yellow cake mixes taste artificial to me.  That is IMO unless you load them with icing or cool whip or other toppings they have a strong artificial vanilla taste. With the recipe below you too can make 100% no artificial flavorings or coloring cupcakes with little effort.  It's the way to go!!!!

So today my scratch vanilla cupcakes will be filled with either lemon curd or apple butter. You can use vanilla pudding and top with chocolate frosting, strawberry preserves, vanilla frosting and topped with coconut too.  So many choices I can't begin to mention them all.  Enjoy!




I also want to explain how I made the indentation in the cupcake.
While the cupcakes are still warm make an indentation with either a large round end of a ice cream scooper or a wooden spoon that after you push it in you an enlarge it slightly with your finger.



This recipe makes 24 nice size cupcakes.

2 sticks butter softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt(I used salted butter so I did not add salt)
4 large eggs (room temperature)
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2  cup all purpose flour

**Note:  for lemon flavored cupcakes add at least 1 tsp. lemon extract or the juice and rind of a lemon. Depending on how lemony of a flavor you want.  I would also still add 1 tsp. vanilla




Heat oven to 350. Line muffin cups with paper liners

Beat softened butter, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl on high until well blended. Add eggs; beat 2 minutes or until fluffy.  On low speed add milk and vanilla slowly. (Batter may look curdled so don't worry).  Add flour just until blended.

Spoon or as I did use 1/4 cup measuring cup to fill each muffin cup 2/3 cup full.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until wooden toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Note:  If you want to fill your cupcakes, while cupcakes are still warm using the end of an ice cream scooper or the end of a wooden spoon press down to indent an opening so as to fill them.The larger the indentation the more filling you'll have inside.....So yummy!

Why did I wait so long?  This recipe was super easy to do and if you don't want or need 24 cupcakes make a half recipe.

Also please note.  These cupcakes are freezeable....for up to a month so freeze them without topping/icing  in an airtight container and when you need them take them out and you can top them or fill them with topping/filling of your choice.

 Today I filled a few with lemon curd and hubby wants apple butter in his.  You can do almost any filling....Be creative, just know the filling should be a little thicker than thinner to stay put...

 









Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours,




No comments: