Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Asian Wild Rice Salad with Cashews!


 *This post on Asian Salad was one of my most popular salads that I am happy to share with you new foodie friends.



It's Salad Time in my kitchen,




Caught this recipe in yesterday's paper and just had to make it.  I love any food with an Asian flair.  The author( Patricia Cornwell) said that is it perfect with hamburgers and hotdogs as a light side and I have to agree.  If you tired of the same potato or macaroni salad give this one a try.

Note:  This was a first try with wild rice.  I have used mixed wild and regular rice but this recipe called for all wild rice. This light salad had the best flavor and taste and adding the cashews certainly complimented the dish.  I'd rate it high on the top of my favorites for a different side or light dish.

 

The dark wild rice, red peppers, scallions make this dish not only colorful but the blend of the dressing makes this a terrific combo.






1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained ( I used Reese brand All Natural Quick cooking Wild Rice)
4 cups chicken broth
3 T olive oil
1 1/2 cup chopped red  or green pepper
3/4 cup coarsely chopped cashews
****Note: I used the whole box of wild rice 2.75 oz. and I feel that I could have decreased the broth to 3 cups.

Dressing:
3 T seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 T olive oil
1 T Asian sesame oil
1 clove garlic minced
pinch salt
dash pepper
******Combine vinegar, oils, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk or place in a jar and shake well.  Pour over salad and toss to coat.


In a large saucepan bring rice and chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer approx. 45 to 50 minutes or until rice is tender.  Drain any excess liquid and set rice aside.

In a medium skillet heat 3 T olive oil over medium heat.  Add peppers and cook until tender.  Add cashews and green onions.  Cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until cashews begin to brown.  Remove from heat.  In a large bowl stir wild rice and pepper mixture. Pour dressing over salad to coat.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

From my kitchen to yours




6/30/14



7/30/12
1/1/13
7/11/13

2 comments:

The Freshman Cook said...

I saw this recipe and thought it looked good. Glad to know you liked it! Yours looks delicious. Answering your Facebook request-- I can see everything just fine. I am on an I phone, but nothing seems to be missing.

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thanks Teri! It was really very easy to make and I did taste it while it was still warm and I think it is the type salad you can serve warm, room temperature or cold. Have a great day!