Thursday, October 12, 2017

Italian Orzo Soup


I'm a believer!  I think most gadgets are a waste of money but I was tempted by this so called Vidalia chopper just because I have been chopping veggies so long and hate that my food processor doesn't do chopping I bought this gadget on a whim to try. I can't believe it actually does what it says so today I decided to try it because I wanted to make the below soup recipe and it required chopped veggies.  I love it.  I did have a coupon and was able to use 20% off so at around $16.00 I think it was worth the price.

I think I may in my spare or free time lol  chop chop chop lots of carrots, celery and onions to have on hand for future use.

Now on to this great soup.

 Since I was chopping I remember having a recipe that called for lots of chopped veggies so I scouted through my emails and found what seemed like something we would enjoy tonight.





It's not summer yet so if you looking for quick, easy and loaded with carrots, celery and onions, spinach and beans too this is going sure please you and the veggie soup lovers in your house.

Delish!




  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock ***( I used a combination of broths) Beef, chicken and vegetable
  • 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes *** (I used diced tomatoes in sauce 1-14.5 oz can)
  • 1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces)*** orzo pasta, or whole wheat pasta
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 4 cups loosely-packed spinach *** I used freshly chopped spinach about 1/2 cup)
  • 1-15.5 oz can cannellini beans drained optional
  • salt and black pepper
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes, until soft. Add carrots, celery and garlic and saute for an additional 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, orzo (pasta), thyme, oregano, rosemary and stir to combine. (Everybody Loves Italian)Bring soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente.

    Stir in the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until it is bright green and wilted. Season with salt and black pepper to taste (if needed). Serve warm.

    ****Please note I adapted this recipe to my liking using regular orzo pasta, diced tomatoes in sauce, cannellini beans and chopped spinach.

9/21/15
1/14/16
1/9/17
1/23/17

No comments: