Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Cannoli Cake my way!

Growing up in Northeastern Pa and being used to the way mom and grandma baked and cooked there are just some things I can not change. One being cannoli filling.  We never ever made cannoli's with ricotta filling.  NEVER!  So today I saw a recipe for a cannoli cake using ricotta and figured it was high time I tried making one with Custard!

Here is my recipe.  I know if you try it you will LIKE IT!


Cake

1- box white cake mix(make according to directions)
Bake in 13 x 9 inch pan according to directions.

After cake has cooled.  Poke holes into cake several inches apart. (I used a straw to make the holes)

Pour custard over cake and place in refrigerator over night.

Top with mini semi sweet chocolate chips and colored (I used red and green food coloring)cashews and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Note:  I didn't have any mini chocolate chips so I felt regular ones would be too large so they are eliminated in my finished product.  Enjoy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Suggestion:  I doubled the custard recipe. When I made the first batch I added a little more milk to it after it came out of the microwave to make it thinner(pourable) so it would easily go thru the poked holes.

  The second custard I made the original way so it would be thicker.  The key is lots of custard to top this cake for the down home custard taste.



Topping/Filling

1/4 cup corn starch
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups whole milk
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 T butter
1 tsp. vanilla

First layer(thinner custard)

***I used a straw for holes but suggest you might use something a little larger to allow custard to seep through.

 In a medium glass bowl, combine corn starch and sugar.  Using a wire whisk gradually stir milk.  Place in microwave on high power for 5 to 7 minutes stirring in 2 minute intervals until it is thick and bubbly.  Remove from microwave and beat half of the hot mixture into the eggs.  Place back in microwave and allow to cook for an additional 45 seconds.  Remove from microwave and using whisk stir in butter and vanilla.
Thickened Custard

Second layer
Topped with colored chopped cashews or pine nuts and sprinkled with powdered sugar!!! YUMMY!!!!!!!!





12/8/16


No comments: