Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Kung pao Chicken Meatballs with sauce


Hi everyone:

I wanted to try a recipe for Kung Pao chicken so I combined two recipes I saw.  Quite honestly I don't remember which two but here goes. One could have been from Allrecipes but?

Mentioned first that after my experience with soy sauce some seem to be very salty so I used the low sodium one but if you don't want to buy that type cut back slightly on your soy sauce if you like.

Here's what my ingredients are.

1 lb. ground chicken breast (try regular ground chicken if you can find it).  It may make your meatballs softer.
 Note: Definitely use ground turkey if you prefer. I know regular ground turkey is moist.  I use it for my turkey meatballs and I am always complimented on my recipe.
1/3 of a cup of onion. I grate mine
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 to 1/2  tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup breadcrumbs Note: you can use all breadcrumbs but increase amount to 3/4 cup
1 tsp. to 1 T siriracha sauce depending of how much spicy you like it
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch pepper
1 egg
1/4 cup chicken broth to moisten
sesame seeds for garnish
chopped chives or green onion snips for garnish



Mix the ground chicken, onions, garlic, ginger, egg,oatmeal, breadcrumbs,chicken broth, sriracha and salt and pepper. Roll into approximately 20 meatballs. Place on a parchment paper or spray with coconut oil on baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees about 20 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove from oven.

Sauce

1/2 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium because regular seems a bit too salty for me).
4 T chicken broth
4 T rice vinegar
1 tsp. sesame oil.
2 T Chili sauce (I used Thai chili sauce) or you can make your own** 
1 tsp. sriracha or red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2  cup brown sugar(depending on how sweet you want your sauce)
1 T cornstarch
2 tsp. water
 While the meatballs are baking. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce except the cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil. Mix the cornstarch and water together and add to boiling sauce. 

Cook until slightly thickened. Remove the meatballs from the oven and place in sauce. Cook a couple to minutes to coat the balls well with sauce. Serve the meatballs garnished with chopped chives or green onion tops and sesame seeds.

Enjoy!!

P. S. one of the recipes suggested also topping with chopped peanuts.You can do that as well.  I do not because I can not have any type nuts.  I do put some on my hubby's portion.
















I served frozen steamed peas as my side.





From my kitchen to yours,




No comments: