Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Spring Vegetable and Barley Risotto!

Today was my first day back to Weight Watchers.  I try to be careful what choices I make on a regular basis but sometimes you need a little more encouragement to help you along the way.

Weight Watchers meetings have helped me stay focused so in order to loose some of the extra pounds I have managed to add on during the last few months I decided to make some of their tasty recipes.



I am going to try to post twice a week a WW dish or meal. 



I will still be baking and cooking and sharing my regular menu but I will incorporate more vegetarian dishes as well and some WW dishes too!  As I have said  "ROSEBUD" (my KEY word) to remind myself to stay on track and make HEALTHY choices.

This dish was wonderful and they suggested using pearl barley(IT DOESN'T REQUIRE CONSTANT STIRRING)  instead of arborio rice which worked out wonderful. 

Note:  I didn't have any snap peas so I doubled the asparagus.

Happy Cooking!

1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup sliced leeks(green and light green parts only)
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed, cut diagonally into 2 inch pieces
1/4 lb. sugar snap peas trimmed and cut in half diagonally
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan-Reggiano cheese..I used Pecorino Romano
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tsp. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper
1 T. dill or dried parsley
1/8 tsp. fresh lemon juice

Heat oil in large nonstick sauce pan over medium heat.  Add leeks, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are light golden, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir in broth and barley, bring to boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until barley is almost tender, about 30 minutes. Mixture will thicken when covered. 

Stir in asparagus and sugar snap peas until vegetables are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove saucepan from heat; stir in cheese, zest, butter, salt and pepper.  Stir in dill or parsley and season to taste with fresh lemon juice; serve immediately.

Yields about 1 cup per serving.  Serves 4  WW points 6 

Prep: 15 minutes, Cook time 45 minutes

Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,



4/19/13

No comments: