Tuesday, August 9, 2016

From scratch Chocolate Angel Food Cake

I've made my version of chocolate angel food cake using a box angel food cake mix and adding cocoa and it really was super easy and delicious too but sometimes I'm not satisfied until I make the scratch version.

 Below is the scratch cake version and if you might want to know my opinion on what cake I preferred I'll post it at the end of this blog. Enjoy!




The recipe for this cake was from all recipes and although it wasn't perfect) I think I beat it too much so it didn't raise as much as I thought it should.

  It's a delicate cake so with the box version there was no mistake on what to do.  This one had many steps and was a bit  confusing.

Having said that it was denser than I had hoped it would be but we had no trouble eating it! Lol

I did make several adjustments to my recipe but I read the comments where others did as well.

For instance I bought a container of egg whites instead of separating 12 eggs.  My container was 2 cups. I used all purpose flour (which was all I had available).



 






The recipe below is from allrecipes.com

Directions 

  • Prep
  • Cook
  • Ready In
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, cake flour, and cocoa. Sift together 2 times, and set aside.
  3. In a clean large bowl, whip egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed until very stiff. Fold in white sugar 2 tablespoons at a time while continuing to mix. Fold in flour mixture, a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a 10 inch tube pan.
  4. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for approximately 1 hour, or until cake springs back when touched.

  1. Happy Baking!
  2. I was happy with the box mix.  I would make it again.  It was a lot easier and here is what the box cake looked like.




No comments: