Monday, April 18, 2016

FYI's #6 Some helpful ideas from my kitchen to yours,

I think we'd all agree our time is precious and we all would like to save money so I will try to help in my little way with some tips, tools and a few helpful hints to save you time and money.


I am adding to today's list a handy kitchen tool that I love.  I may not use it everyday but it sure comes in handy and doesn't take much space in your kitchen cabinet drawer. 

Making your kitchen time a little easier with a few FYI's:



List #2


1.  The secrets of a blue ribbon pie maker: Use ice cold water. Handle the dough as little as possible and mix and prepare it as quickly as you can.


2.  Mix used coffee grounds in with the soil in your garden or in pots. It makes for instant compost and will keep slugs away too.


3.  A Southern curiosity are Kool-Aid Pickles, aka Koolickles. Dump out half the brine from a jar of pickles. Refill with your favorite brand of Kool-Aid. Let them sit for 24 hours and then enjoy.


4. The simpler the better sometimes: Coleslaw: Chop green cabbage, a little mayonnaise, a little apple cider vinegar and some sugar. That's it.


5.  When we're on diets we like to keep celery and carrot sticks readily available. I prepare them and then store them in a plastic tub of water.


6.  When baking with honey, remember the following: add l/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey used.




7.
Small funnel.  I buy larger size Olive Oil and Vinegar and this tool comes in handy for me to transfer liquid to a smaller bottle.  Keep one of you old OO and Vinegar bottles and you will save money.

8.  What I have found is that it is recommended to follow a tried and tested recipe when using honey. However, when you are looking to substitute honey for sugar, using a little baking soda helps to neutralize the acidity of the honey."



9.  One cup (8 ounces) of dried beans increases to 2 cups (1 to 1 pounds) of soaked beans.

10.  To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.















8/11/13
5/13/14
11/18/15

No comments: