Friday, November 27, 2015

Crockpot stuffing



 I'm always willing to try something new so making my traditional sage stuffing and cooking it in a crock pot is really something I was eager to try.  I am a traditionalist by nature but saving some space and pretty much being assured I'll like the crock pot way made me a believer.

I personally love to stuff the turkey or chicken as my mom used to. Nothing like all those wonderful juices adding to the amazing taste of a meal. So here is my recipe and results.  Sure was easy and I was able to do other things without worrying about the stuffing being done or even better if there'd be room to put it in the extra pan in the oven.





This is my basic sage stuffing that I decided to try in my crock pot.  I really liked it. Note:  I make the stuffing the night before and refrigerate it in a large storage bag overnight so it's good to go the next day.  Saves a lot of time for sure!



If you want more flavoring you can always add your chicken or turkey drippings to it when serving.





1 large loaf French Bread cut in pieces (mine was very large) Mine was day old bread

3 or 4 stalks chopped celery

1 medium onion chopped

1 stick butter

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

2 eggs beaten beaten slightly

1-32 oz. carton chicken broth

1/2 tsp. dried sage

1 tsp. dried parsley



In a large bowl break or cut bread into large cubes  set aside



In a medium size pot place butter, onions and celery.  Simmer all until translucent.  About 5 to 10 minutes, cool slightly and place on top of cubed bread.  Add beaten eggs, salt, sage, parsley and 16 oz of chicken broth.  Mix Thoroughly with hands so all bread and spices incorporate together well. Keep mixing and adding more chicken broth if needed.



Note:  I used the whole 32 oz. carton but as long as you feel all the bread is moistened and incorporated you DO NOT NEED TO ADD ALL THE CHICKEN BROTH.



Place in crockpot on high for 45 minutes and then to low setting and let cook approximately 4 to 6 hours. It will brown slightly around the edges.



No comments: