Monday, August 18, 2014

Soup's On! Butternut Squash Soup!

It's going to be a cool one here in our area so I'm putting together a small amount of Butternut Squash Soup.  I have read different ways to make it and ingredients to use so I'm adding a little bit of each ingredient that appeals to me and we'll see what develops. I adapted this recipe to our liking.  The original was posted on my recipes.com. and I think it was really good! Note: The asterisks indicate my add in's or substitutions. Delicious!!

Happy Thick and Creamy Soup!





Soup and Turkey Sandwiches on Light Italian Bread


The most cumbersome part of making Butternut squash soup is cleaning the squash.  I have used it in recipes but mostly as a side dish.  I usually clean  the whole squash and use what I need in a recipe or freeze it for later use.





  • Soup:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3 1/2 cups cleaned, cubed and peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 3/4 cup chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 
  • 1 small  clove minced garlic *optional
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery*optional
  • 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup half-and-half(fat free)*
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt 
  •  Garnish with chopped chives*


  1. 1. To prepare soup, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, carrot, and onion; sauté for 12 minutes. Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and salt. 
  2.  Place squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.

Note:  If you have an immersion blender you can use it.  Just watch when using or you'll have butternut squash everywhere..



  1. Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

  2.  
  3. 9/22/12

No comments: