Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Banana Muffins: Healthy and Light!

Re-Post



Cutting calories but not eliminating taste!  Today I am posting my recipe for Cocoa-Banana Muffins.  I have made these muffins before and find them to be a great breakfast muffin..  I am not a person who loves eggs or even cereal in the a.m..so a light muffin or bar is a quick fix for me with a cup of coffee..I do need something to eat in the morning;  it honestly makes me not as ravenous at lunch time.  

Note:  Check out my change up idea below for a brownie type dessert.  

Here is the recipe.  I  make a dozen and store them in the freezer.  I take one out the night before,  ready for my early morning cup of coffee, or for those on the run, take one along to nibble on...Easy to make and you can double the recipe if you like.  Enjoy!  

Happy Healthy Baking from my kitchen to yours!!




 Note:  I find wrapping them after cooling, in individual small sandwich bags, makes it less tempting to eat more than one and putting them immediately in your freezer(out of eye view) will help too.

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup low fat or skim milk
1/3 cup margarine
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2/3 to 3/4 cup mashed banana
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
sprinkle with extra oats if desired
dusting with confectionery sugar (optional)

******Note:  You might want to eliminate the oats and use whole eggs in place of egg whites if you are making this recipe in a 13x9 inch pan as to make a brownie type cake. Adjust baking time to approx. 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.  Cool before cutting. 

Place brown sugar, softened margarine and egg whites in bowl..Beat well until all is blended.  Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla and oats..alternating with milk..After beating for several minutes add mashed banana and beat until well blended.   Bake 400 degrees approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 


1/2/12
3/13 
8/22/13

No comments: