Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cappelletti Filling:

 Cappeletti's!  Little dough hats filled with Mom's special Cappeletti filling. Mom's record was making 2,000 cappeletti's and I doubt I'd beat that but I'll at least try.  My kids love them and so do my grandchildren.  

Some Italians fill them with finely minced chicken with a touch of lemon but not Mom..Her filling was a little spicy but oh so good..She'd make chicken soup and that's where the Cappelletti's come in..She boil some and add to the soup..Great taste and we'd have them usually at Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas too..



Here is her recipe:

2 lb. ground lean beef 
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tablespoon cinnamon( I use 1 tsp.)
1 tsp. nutmeg( I use 1/2 tsp.)
1- 6 oz can tomato paste
1-can water
1 egg slightly beaten
2 cups Italian cheese
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons oil



Fry meat in oil until all red disappears, add salt, pepper and tomato paste plus 1 can of water. Add cinnamon and nutmeg and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes..Take off stove add cheese, egg  and breadcrumbs.  This recipe should make at least 8- 1 cup portions which she would bag and put in freezer..Take out as many bags as needed..Each bag should make 100 caps.. Note:  Her caps were on the small side..

I will post photos as I make them.


Homemade pasta dough recipe in separate post.


Buon Appetite from my kitchen to yours,

 

No comments: