Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Apple/Cranberry Squares or Pie!










Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar and poke a few fork marks on top before baking


Dab with a few pieces of butter before baking

A nice fall/holiday dessert which combines apples and cranberries or raisins can easily be made using a cookie sheet.

Apples are abundant this time of the year and when in doubt as to how many you'll be serving using a small to medium size cookie sheet will give you lots of options as far as size of a piece.  Make them bite size, small, medium or large this recipe will serve many. Of course you won't get as many slicing large pieces.

Hint:  If you are using a large cookie sheet you will have to use 2 pkgs. refrigerated pie crust.  Piece and press together using fingers or rolling pin bottom crust using two crusts and the same for top. It can easily be done.

To make a pie or tart you should have at least 6 to 8 large apples. There are lots of new varieties and you can't go wrong mixing a few to enhance the flavor. I like Granny Smith mixed with a few others. The recipe below was made with Macintosh apples and it really was delicious.



I had about 3 lbs. of small Macintosh apples and decided to add some dried cranberries to them and make some apple/cranberry squares.. ( A full pie is always good)

I usually use 6 to 8 large apples to make a pie but I wanted to use what I had.  My hubby helped me peel and cut them.  After rolling out the crust a bit, I placed one crust on the bottom of an 8 x 12 square pan, added apple mix and then rolled and placed the 2nd crust on the top..Sprinkling some cinnamon sugar on top and remember to poke a few fork marks on top.

Note:   

3 lbs. apples ( I used Macintosh but any good baking apple will
work.

I used a 2 crust Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust and added 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon minute tapioca  and 1 tsp. cinnamon to the apples and 2 tablespoons butter.  Bake 400 degrees for 40 minutes. (Cover ends if browning too quickly.

Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours..



Helpful hint:  You can use flour in place of tapioca.  I prefer minute tapioca but flour can be used as a substitute.









6/29/12

3 comments:

sule said...

I bet it was delicious!!!

Elpiniki said...

Easy and delicious!

gear khk said...

thanks infonya gan