Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Veal Scallopini Recipe #1


 When I started dating my hubby my Italian grandfather told me as soon as he was introduced to my guy that my hubby's last name in Italian was veal or  ("Vitello") and until he died he said it over and over reminding me of the Italian word for my hubby's last name in which you drop the o and add i.  Am I confusing you yet? lol  

FYI: Another quick answer to the question: What is the difference between veal scallopini and veal cutlets? Scallopini is veal that is cut thinner and pounded and veal cutlets are a bit thicker and usually breaded. I know that question has probably come to mind before so I hope to have cleared it for those of you who didn't know.:)

Veal ("vitello")scallopini were on sale this week so I bought some for our dinner tonight. Veal is pricey no doubt about it and when my hubby was growing up his uncle was a butcher so veal cutlets or scallopini were on their table most months.




  His mom would bread the cutlets and fry in olive oil for their dinner.  She was very good at estimating her meal amounts so she would  buy exactly what she felt they would eat.  There were never any leftovers.  She used to say that no one would eat leftovers but I am sure the frugal person she was also contributed to her saying that so I'd say if you are cooking for a large family this is a dish to prepare after checking out veal prices and your families appetites.

These scallopini were thinly sliced so I was able to quick fry them with butter, oil, a little salt and lemon juice to make an easy dinner.

The below recipe is approximate.  I feel every recipe is adjustable and you don't have to be exact but do fry in single layers as to cook evenly.  Happy Cooking!










  • 1 lb. veal scallopini or cutlets ( pound with meat mallet if they are not thin enough)
  • 1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste( Try sea salt it's better for you)
  • 2 tsp. canola oil
  • 2 Tbsp. capers
  • 1/4 cup white wine(optional)( Veg. broth or chicken broth can be substituted)
  • 1/2  squeezed lemon or 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 2 to 3 T butter cut into 4-8 pieces
  1. Pat the veal dry and sprinkle it lightly with salt. Heat oil in a large pan. 
      Add the veal in single layers to the pan .Cook until it starts to brown, about 2 minutes. Turn the cutlets and cook them until they're cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Transfer the veal to a plate. Repeat with any remaining veal, if necessary.

Add the capers to the frying pan and let them sizzle for about 30 seconds. Add the Optional white wine and use a spatula to help scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan into the wine. Cook until the wine is reduced by at least half, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine. Swirl in the butter, whisking if you like, to make a sauce. Taste and add salt, if needed.







No comments: