Saturday, November 2, 2019

Lower in fat Blueberry Scones! A first try!!!


Todays apricot scones. 10/24/2023






                     1/7/2023 Blueberry with orange extract for flavor.

 Fresh Baked scones today. 

 Cranberry/Apricot with orange extract for flavoring.  Light and fluffy.  Double the recipe like I did so you can freeze some for later. Note:  the cranberries and apricots were bought at Aldi's.  I cut the apricots in small pieces so they would be easy to eat.

Have a yummy day!
Cranberry/ Apricot Scones





Note:  I have received several requests to repost this easy scone recipe.  Enjoy!

  I absolutely love scones or any breakfast bread actually!  In my quest to make a healthy, moist and still tasty scone I decided to experiment with some ideas I thought might work.  Butter is a big ingredient in scones but I wanted less fat so I eliminated some of the butter and added applesauce; substituted some buttermilk(used the mixture of adding lemon juice to milk to sour it) and I was impressed with the outcome..  Hubby was too!.


Tender and moist with just the right amount of fruit we really enjoyed them.  I would definitely recommend them..  Today it was blueberry but I wouldn't hesitate to make them with cranberries or other dried fruits(dried fruits are more sugary though)  I used frozen blueberries that I had frozen in summer for this recipe with no problem..


Happy Baking!  Please let me know if you tried them!!   

8/20/13



Drop by large tablespoons onto cookie sheet


***NOTE: 10/18/2022

Today I made apricot/cranberry scones.  I also doubled the recipe, added orange extract.  There is never a day that can be better than having fresh scones.  Have a great day!










Making Lower in fat Blueberry Scones (2012 my recipe)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup natural applesauce no sugar added (or 1 -3.9 ounce individual container)
pinch salt
3 tablespoons butter softened
2 tsp. baking powder
½ cup buttermilk (I took ½ cup skim milk and added 1 tsp. lemon juice and let set for a minute or two).(I always substitute this formula when buttermilk is called for).
1 egg
2/3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)
Beat sugar, butter and applesauce until blended.  Add baking powder, pinch of salt and flour, alternating milk while adding flour. Do not over beat!   Gently fold in blueberries and drop by large tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet. (I used cooking spray) Sprinkle with a little sugar if desired.  Bake 425 approximately 12 to 15 minutes.  Makes 12 small or 6 large scones.  Serve warm or cool and freeze!

*Helpful Note: When a recipe calls for buttermilk to every ¾ cup milk , add 2 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar. Let set or a minute or two. Easier than buying buttermilk. It's kind of fake but it works fine!

From my happy kitchen to yours,


..
5/4/12
  10/18/2022








No comments: