Saturday, January 21, 2023

Meatloaf stuffed with mashed potatoes! Mom's recipe and my added touch!

Tonight’s repeat performance!  Using my homemade mashed potatoes and all beef approximately one pound meatloaf.

While my potatoes were cooking I sprayed with cooking spray a medium size loaf pan.

I placed one half of my meatloaf mixture in pan while flattening the meat as best I could.

To speed up dinner I put the bottom half that I had put in the pan in a 350° oven to bake while potatoes were cooking to perfection.  It took about 10 to 12 minutes.

After 12 minutes I mashed potatoes as usual with milk and butter.  Removed loaf pan from oven and placed two heaping scoops of mashed potatoes on top.  Then I topped the potatoes with the other flattened meatloaf.

Bake approximately 20 to 30 minutes until juices are clear.  Allow to set 5 to 7 minutes before slicing,

Fried onions cooked topped my meatloaf.  (I cooked them in a separate pan).

Delicious!


1/21/2023








Mom liked to put together her own food ideas and would try them out on us..

Of course I always loved food so I loved trying everything and anything she made whether it be Italian, Slovak or American.. 

 This is her meatloaf recipe and I decided to add some  left over mashed potatoes and it looked something like this when it was finished baking.

                        

Today I made Mom's  meatloaf recipe and used Bob Evans Refrigerated mashed potatoes.  It'll save some time and they are great in a pinch.  Enjoy! Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours!


Here is her recipe:

1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground chuck
2 cups breadcrumbs, plain
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
2 medium onions finely chopped
1 cup milk

****short cut:  1/2 container Bob Evan's regular mashed potatoes.   I used half of the container of mashed potatoes for center.



                      7/23/12

Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing!


In a large bowl mix ground meat, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, onion.  Mix egg with milk and combine with meat.  Shape into two pieces.  Make a well in center, place mashed potatoes in center and top with the other half of meatloaf. ( see photo) Brush top
Of meatloaf with a little vegetable oil.  Bake 350 degrees 1 hour or longer until well browned.  

I topped my meatloaf with sautéed onions which I fried separately in a few tablespoons of oil.  

  If you would like to use gravy use the drippings or jarred gravy will work.

  Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours!

 


 

Original 7/23/12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gram,
Since you r on the topic of Potatoes
Me and Nana were looking for recipes so The first place I thought of was here.
Do you have a recipe for Microwave Baked Potatoes?\
Love,
Zoe