Monday, July 23, 2012

Meatloaf stuffed with mashed potatoes! Mom's recipe and my added touch!

Mom liked to put together her own food ideas and would try them out on us..Of course I always loved food so I loved trying everything and anything she made whether it be Italian, Slovak or American..  This is her meatloaf recipe and I decided to add some  left over mashed potatoes and it looked something like this when it was finished baking.

Today I made Mom's  meatloaf recipe and used Bob Evans Refrigerated mashed potatoes.  It'll save some time and they are great in a pinch.  Enjoy! Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours!


Here is her recipe:

1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground chuck
2 cups breadcrumbs, plain
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
2 medium onions finely chopped
1 cup milk
1 container Bob Evan's regular mashed potatoes( my version) She used leftover mashed potatoes. ( used several tablespoons for center of loaf)

Cool for about 15 minutes before slicing!

I served it with a green salad and cranberry relish

Fill potatoes in hollowed out center.  (I used Bob Evan's Mashed Potatoes).  Top with other half of meat hollowing out that section as well to cover potatoes.. Seal ends together..(Note:  Leave a edge around potatoes to seal.)

I sauteed onions separately in butter and topped meatloaf( You can serve them on the side instead of topping them)


In a large bowl mix ground meat, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, onion.  Mix egg with milk and combine with meat.  Shape into two pieces.  Make a well in center, place mashed potatoes in center and top with the other half of meatloaf. ( see photo) Cover  and bake 350 degrees 1 hour or longer until well browned.  Take covering off 1/2 hour before taking out of oven to brown.. I topped my meatloaf with sauteed onions for a change!  If you would like to use gravy use the drippings or jarred gravy will work.

  Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours!

 
M.J.

 


Post a Comment