Monday, July 9, 2012

Not so German Chocolate Cake!

This little story starts out quite simple.  While picking up some grocery items at the local store I picked up a boxed German Chocolate cake mix thinking I'd make a German Chocolate cake! Think again!!  I didn't have all the necessary ingredients to make the icing so I decided to nix that idea and make a different frosting using the cake mix and some flavored coffee creamer. I added some Coconut too!  I am pleased to say it turned out quite well.  Simply delicious!

  Note: If you like a lighter chocolate cake I might suggest trying this type box mix.  Lighter as in color.  Happy Baking!

1 pkg. Duncan Hines German Chocolate cake mix
prepare in two 9" cake pans
Bake according to directions

Let cake cool completely (I used two square 9" disposable cake pans)

When cooled remove from pan.  Place one layer on large serving plate.  Top with Creme Brulee Frosting and coconut.




The cake was moist and the frosting was so good!  Add a dip of vanilla ice cream if desired. I did!!!!
  

Easy to make frosting:

1 box confectionery sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine softened
1/4 cup or less Coffeemate flavored coffee creamer(watch amount)
1/4 cup Hershey chocolate morsels (melted)
1 pkg. sweetened coconut

In a large mixing bowl, mix butter, softened chocolate morsels and confectionery sugar.  Slowly add coffeemate creamer to desired consistency so as to spread smoothly.  Top with coconut.  Yum !

7/9/12



4 comments:

Richard said...

Interesting ad-lib!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thank you kind sir! I love to ad lib now and again!

Teena said...

Fantastic idea! I absolutely loved it!!!!

M. J. Vitelli said...

We loved it too! Next time I may grate some chocolate on top for an added garnish!