Monday, November 21, 2011

Tilapia with oranges, tomatoes and garlic: 15 minute meal


Yummy ! Wheat couscous was just the right compliment to this meal..
I don't post very many fish recipes.  Honestly I am not a fish lover even though I know it is a light healthy food so when I choose fish it is usually some type of mild fish and would be either flounder or tilapia.  I have tried others but I'm thinking it was probably how it was prepared.  Today I decided to make this recipe because it appealed to me and I like couscous...




1/2 cup couscous (whole wheat recommended)(I season with salt and 2 tsp. olive oil)
1 large orange
3 tsp.  olive oil
4 small Tilapia fillets(about 1 lb.)( I cheated and used frozen panko dipped Tilapia)
salt and pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 piece fresh ginger( I used 1/4 tsp. dried ginger)
1 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved (I use Roma tomatoes, seeded and cut in pieces)
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Cook couscous according to directions.( I added two tsp. olive oil to recipe).  Cut, peel and separate orange into sections.  Cut orange into segments, adding them to the bowl along with juices.



In a skillet heat 1 tsp. oil over medium heat..season tilapia with 1/2 tsp. salt and a bit of pepper..Note:  I did not season as I used the seasoned tilapia. Cook until opaque through out about a minute or two..Transfer to plate and cover to keep warm.


Wipe out skillet and heat remaining 2 tsp. oil..Add garlic and ginger, cooking slowly until golden brown..Add tomatoes and cook tossing occasionally until beginning to break down, about three minutes..add oranges and juice and gently toss to heat through..Serve over couscous and sprinkle with scallions...Enjoy!!  


Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours...


11/21/11 original

4 comments:

My San Francisco Kitchen said...

This looks great, I will try for dinner this week sometime and let you know how it goes! :) Thanks!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Let me know..We enjoyed it..although oranges weren't as juicy as they could have been..but still it was a nice change..Thanks for commenting.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love this - we eat fish quite often in our household and it's always nice to add more variations. It looks very easy to cook and perfect for week night dinner. My kids will love the fruity flavor as well. :-)

M. J. Vitelli said...

Glad to share something new to compliment fish :) Thanks for commenting..:)