Friday, November 18, 2011

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes:

I love potatoes!  I guess it is pretty obvious because a lot of my meals include them and ham, well, it is on my I love to eat list!!!

  My hubby isn't fond of ham so it is seldom on our table but with the holidays approaching my thoughts go to scalloped potatoes and ham.  I do buy a ham and bake it so I'll have something around to pick on.  So making a casserole is something extra you can do with some of your ham.  I know ham, potatoes, carrots and cabbage were a meal Mom would put together with leftover ham but it isn't fattening enough for me(just kidding) so this casserole is one of my favorites...






Today I wanted to share my recipe with you for now or later use.  Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours!

6 cups potatoes thinly sliced
1 small onion grated or 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 to 1/3 cup flour
1+ tsp. salt
2 cups Whole milk( do not use anything but regular whole milk)
1/2 cup or more diced ham
1 tablespoon butter

Wash and slice potatoes drain and pat dry.  In a large bowl place potatoes,  grated onion, salt and flour.  Toss..

In a large greased casserole dish or pan layer potato mix, add some ham and repeat layers until all potatoes/ham are used finishing with potatoes on top.  Dot with butter, sprinkle with flour..Slowly pour milk over potatoes, making sure not to have milk too close to top of pan. (allow for boiling and overflow space (allow 1 or 2 in. from top of pan).  Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


Take cover off and bake additional 30  to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden in color

*Note:  If you want to eliminate ham and just make scalloped potatoes, eliminate ham and  add some cheese to top if desired...Sharp American or Cheddar.  You choose it!


11/18/11

All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook2013, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.

1 comment:

Christine's Pantry said...

I love potatoes too. Great recipe.