Thursday, July 28, 2011

Texas Sheet Cake: A long time favorite

Recent updated photo.  6/28/23

Topped with easy chocolate icing and chopped pecans.

2 cups sifted powdered sugar 
3T baking cocoa 
Slowly whisk milk until smooth.  Pour over cake while still warm.

Let set and serve.

If it is humid I suggest to refrigerate until 10 minutes before serving.

Garnish with chopped pecans

This cake has been around for years and years and I still make it.  Although now I make Peanut Butter Icing for the top because my grandchildren just love peanut butter anything and especially on a chocolate cake.

2 sticks margarine(this is what the original call for)I have used butter also.

1 cup water
4 tablespoons cocoa
Bring the above to a slight boil, and allow to cool slightly.

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar (I used 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp. salt ( I eliminate it if I use salted butter)
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. baking soda

In a large bowl, beat sugar with eggs, add flour and baking soda and salt ..Beat in cocoa mixture..Beat in sour cream last..The batter will be thin and watery..

Grease and flour 10 x 15 inch cookie sheet.. Bake 375 degrees for approximately 20 to 22 minutes.






It is really a wonderful moist cake..and you can get a lot of slices from it.

Great chocolate cake.  I made a peanut butter icing!

Peanut Butter Icing

 1 box confectionary sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 T softened butter
milk(start with 1/4 cup adding slowly) Watch amount!  

No comments: