Friday, September 23, 2016

Blueberry, pecan, sour cream coffee cake


This is one of the best cakes I have ever made using blueberries. It has the texture of a pound cake and the moistness that we all like in a cake.  I did cut back by one half cup the sugar in the recipe.  It was fine and I didn't think made any difference.  Enjoy this recipe and since fall is here I'm in a big time making mood.....:)







It's a coffee cake so that's even better in my book.  I always look for coffee cake type recipes for breakfast in our house.  I think you all know me by now(Yes it's over 5 years that I have been blogging) and my likes and dislikes I think come out enough for you to remember I am not an egg, bacon etc. breakfast person.  Never have been and I'm sure it's not going to change.

One thing has changed and that is I do eat breakfast everyday.  Yes every single day!  I didn't as a teenager or young adult but through the years have found out so many benefits to starting the day with something in your stomach.

As I have gotten older I have found that small or mini meals really help stabilizing your blood sugar which is so important. 

 My parents became diabetics in their fifties and I did not want to fall into that pattern so I started eating several mini meals a day and one evening regular portion meal. Here's what I do.  In the early morning I eat my small scone or breakfast food.  Around ten a.m I eat a piece of fruit or some protein. 

Lunch is usually pretty simple, salad, or 1/2 sandwich, soup and fruit or even a fruit cup.  It really varies by my hunger and what I have around our house.

Around 3 p.m. I have something small as in a few strawberries, some cottage cheese, veggie or some protein.
  
Dinner is whatever I make.  I don't make substitutions.  I eat whatever I want but I try to make dinner before 7 p.m.

I hadn't planned on this post giving a mini lesson on how to keep yourself healthy by a healthy lifestyle but I guess it must be important for me to add this along with this very delicious cake recipe.  So enjoy it and watch your portions.  I plan on eating a slice (moderate) for breakfast for a few days and will freeze the rest for later.  Wrap slices in clear wrap.  This cake freezes well as do most if not all of my recipes.



Note:  On to the recipe.  I did adapt it slightly as in cutting back on the white sugar.  Instead of 2 cups I used 1 1/2 cups as noted.  I cut back on pecans only using 1/4 cup as well because I should not eat many nuts for I have a challenged digestive system. I did not add salt as my butter was salted.  I also sprayed my pan with coconut oil and did dust with flour.
You can use the exact recipe if you like I just adapted it to our liking.









Ingredients:


1 cup butter softened
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 5/8 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting


Directions


  • Prep
  • Cook
  • Ready In
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the batter just until blended. Fold in blueberries.
  3. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Sprinkle half of this mixture over the batter in the pan. Spoon remaining batter over the top, and then sprinkle the remaining pecan mixture over. Use a knife or thin spatula to swirl the sugar layer into the cake.
  4. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the crown of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan over a wire rack. Invert onto a serving plate, and tap firmly to remove from the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
  5. Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours,




  1. adapted from allrecipes.com



No comments: