Monday, December 15, 2014

Our yearly Dinner with Nonna 2014

Maria (Nonna) and yours truly
 First the Appetizers
Stuffed mushrooms and stuffed petite peppers
Meatballs marinara
Thinly shredded tuna on crostini


Mozzarella stuffed with ricotta.  Lightly roasted peppers also with a balsamic glaze


Where has the time gone?  It seems like yesterday we moved from the city of Harrisburg, Pa to the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pa.  It's been over seven years and quite honestly I'd like to stop the clock and slow things up a bit.

Our youngest grandchild was 4 when we moved here and he'll be 12 soon.  He is no longer a little guy who I watched over a few days a week to a very involved boy who loves sports and doesn't spend nearly as much time with Poppy and I as we'd like.  The other four grandchildren are teenagers, two being off to college next year.  Wow, this is what I mean when I say time flies.


One of the best decisions we made when leaving Harrisburg was to move to a community where there were others who made the same decisions as we did to move closer to their children and grandchildren and downsize to a condo type living.  It was very hard but both hubby and I realized that we weren't getting any younger and a big house and yard was way too much work and we wanted to spend time doing other things rather than raking leaves and shoveling snow.

This is where this story begins.  When we moved to the little community of Cobblestone Village we didn't know if a condo type living arrangement would work.  I was used to a house and garden. We had a circle of friends who we loved.   My hubby worried I wouldn't be able to handle it. He was still working so his life would not change dramatically.   I knew I'd be able to. I was ready!!  My only concern was socialization.  We new no one for the exception of our family and I did not want to rely on them for our socialization.  They had already established their own circle of friends and I did not want to infringe on their life.

 Here are a few of the highlights of the afternoon.  Yes we do this dinner at 1 p.m. on a Sunday!!  A holiday dinner with our friends. Hoping you have enjoyed my early Christmas story.

Spinach, ricotta and fennel gnocchi

Roasted beef n a mushroom and wine sauce

Giambotta(garden veggies roasted and tossed)

Mediterranean salad

Tiramisu


We are very fortunate that where we live there are people who too made their decision very similar to ours and right from the first day we moved here we made friends.  There is a clubhouse, pool and there is usually a social at the clubhouse each month.  You have a choice to go or not. So if you don't care to monthly socialize you can but I have to say knowing there are people who surround us and if need be would be less than a few steps away is a nice feeling.

 We starting going to the socials and met many wonderful people and actually here's where the really good part comes in we developed a circle of 4 couples who from day one clicked and after 7 1/2 we are going strong.  I think about now it's time to get to my point!!!!!

One of the best things that became of our move is we as couples do a yearly dinner.  That doesn't mean we don't see each other at other times because we do but our Dinner with Nonna is on it's 4th year and we already made reservations for next year.  See how much we love it!!!  



  Love, Peace and Blessings,





No comments: