Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Homemade Potato Pancakes! A family Favorite

When I was growing up you could be sure on Friday our dinner would be either Spaghetti with Tuna Fish sauce, Salmon patties or  Potato Pancakes.  It was something that my Slovak grandmother would make and Mom followed her tradition.   We weren't given a choice.  It was just what Mom decided to make that day or what she had around and potatoes were always a staple our house.   

We all loved potato pancakes so we were really happy when she made them.  She'd get out her grater and either her or I would grate about 5 or 6 potatoes add the rest of her ingredients, and then she would fry them in lots of oil and we would have them with  applesauce or sugar on top(she loved sugar).  I liked to eat mine plain.  I just loved the taste of the potato. 

I changed her recipe a bit and I use a food 
processor instead of a hand grater( boy have times changed). 

Happy to report no scrapped knuckles! (I had them when I grated them by hand.) I still serve applesauce but sour cream is now added as a topping and my daughter loves to top hers with sugar!!!!! 



With sour cream topping

5  potatoes peeled cut in cubes, rinsed and drained well
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 to 3/4 cup flour
1 medium onion cut in cubes
1 tsp. baking powder optional
canola oil

 Place half of potatoes in food processor or blender  Add egg, salt, pepper, flour and onion and baking powder.  Pulse on grate.  Add remainder of potatoes and  finish processing. Mix all ingredients and fry in hot oil ( I use Canola)until browned on both sides.


Note:  you can use a blender and achieve just about the same consistency.

Place on paper towel to remove access oil.

  Note:  The above can be done with the hand grater as well.  Leave the potatoes and onion whole. Grate  on the fine side. Serve warm with topping or plain.. Mom loved applesauce...Hubby loves sour cream!  Any day, anyway they are delicious!!



Lightly browned on both sides
A nice size

Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,





7/24/11
3/24/13
3/1/14




Post a Comment