A very good day to everyone:
As I started to type this post I immediately thought that this recipe could easily be made into a beef quesadilla pie too and I decided that mentioning to you that using cooked ground beef or shredded beef would be a nice option. Maybe some of the beef you had leftover from your last night's dinner could be an option.
I really enjoy anything with a Mexican flair. When I do go out to dinner with my children I would be the one to suggest Mexican or Asian. My two favorites. I love Italian but since a lot of my recipes are Italian I like to try something I don't make quite as often.
This pie really turned out very good. My only suggestion is that you most certainly serving it with a side would only make you enjoy it more. The traditional salsa or sour cream or even a nice green salad would be yummy. Enjoy!
- 1 Large flour tortilla
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded or use 2 boneless chicken breasts cooked and shredded. I am sure you can use cooked ground beef as well. Remember to drain all fat from cooked beef before tossing with below ingredients. (About 2 cups total )
- 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes with chiles(juice and all)
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, grated, divided
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish (I used dried cilantro about 1 tsp.)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F and lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate with butter or non-stick spray.
- Place tortilla into pie plate and set aside. ***Note:(I used a spring form pan and it filled it nicely) and was easy to remove.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, pinch salt and pepper, 1 cup cheese, cilantro, tomatoes with green chiles, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Stir until everything is combined, then transfer mixture to tortilla-filled pie plate, smoothing everything into an even layer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk flour and eggs, then stir in baking powder and season generously with salt.
- Once smooth, carefully pour mixture over chicken filling. Top evenly with remaining cheese, then transfer pie plate to oven.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until surface is golden brown and center is just set.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Slice into wedges and serve hot, garnish with fresh cilantro or sour cream.