Monday, February 8, 2016

Custard Rice Pudding! Three times a charm!!

 I have posted several of my rice pudding recipes and although they have been great, my all time favorite rice pudding recipe is the one I made today.

I made a creamy rice pudding recipe of my mom's and my whole family absolutely loves it but custard rice pudding is my true favorite and it was my Dad's too!..

I have a recipe of my great aunts and as much as it was good this one is the best!  (just my opinion and the hubby agreed).  Tasty, sweet and yummy custard settling so softly on the top..

The only change I made to this recipe is that I eliminated the nutmeg and baked it 10 minutes longer....Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!  







1/2 cup uncooked rice
3 cups low fat(1%) milk
2 tablespoons butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
Top with Cinnamon sugar

Cook rice, I rinsed slightly, spoon into buttered 6 cup casserole dish.
Scald milk with butter in small saucepan.  Beat eggs slightly with sugar,salt,nutmeg and vanilla in mixing bowl.

Strain mixture over rice.  Note:  you do not have to strain it but I do.  Pour slowly!!! Place casserole in a shallow pan on oven shelf.   Pour boiling water into pan while pan is in oven. Bake  325 degrees for 50 minutes or until almost set but soft in center.  Custard will set as it cools.

 Note:  I baked for 60 minutes.  Serve warm or chilled.  Yummy!!!

 ( I waited until mine was completely cooled and refrigerated until I served mine). It's hard to wait but the custard sets so much better when you let it cool.

 Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours :)

2/17/12
Post a Comment