Monday, January 7, 2013

Stuffed French Toast for Brunch, Lunch or Dinner!

If you are tired of the same old, same old why not make breakfast for your evening meal for a change?  Who doesn't like French Toast?  I never did but this type I have no trouble enjoying.  I have made many varieties of it and I even freeze it for a quick snack for the grandchildren. Today it was going to be stuffed because I had some great fresh strawberries, Italian bread and whipped cream cheese so my hubby (me too!) were treated to a amazing brunch..

  We ate around 11 a.m. so that eliminated what to eat for lunch..I thinking this brunch may be a great idea for those days I don't have a clue what to make for dinner or even maybe it'd be a good evening meal .. Happy Cooking!  Enjoy!!!



 4 slices Italian Bread
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1- 8 oz. whipped cream cheese (you can use regular softened)
3 heaping tsp. strawberries jam or preserves
fresh sliced strawberries
extra jam for melting (if needed to drizzle on top)
2 tsp. butter or margarine

Cream cheese filling:
1 8-oz. regular or whipped cream cheese softened (flavored is OK)
3 heaping tsp. strawberry (or raspberry or any other you choose) jam or preserves



I melted my cream cheese slightly in microwave to soften a bit more (15 seconds)..With a whisk blend in jam.

I put the filled bread together earlier, refrigerated and covered until I was ready to use.

  In a medium low bowl with a whisk beat eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla..  Carefully place stuffed bread into egg mixture. Turn and make sure each side is coated.  In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons butter or margarine..Place sandwiches in melted butter and cook until browned, turn over with spatula carefully and place lid on skillet and cook until that side is browned..




12/1/12

Post a Comment