Saturday, November 19, 2011

Italian Chambalone!! Italian coffee cake

I loved making this and I know this will be a well received...Yummy, light and just the right cake to top off a meal..Coffee or tea anyone?

 Bringing out the Italian in me...Love this Italian Coffee cake and I think you will too!!!

The holidays bring to mind lots of favorites ..An old favorite that I remember eating at my Aunt Anna's was Ciambalone . It was the favorite Italian coffee cake.. Ciambalone and Biscotti were two of her best recipes..

.

I looked and looked and couldn't find her recipe but I found one that seems to be very similar to hers.. It was in a very old cookbook from a Junior Women's club I belonged to..Lots of Italian ladies contributed to it so this is as close to Aunt Anna's that I can get.It's in the oven now!!!  Happy Baking!

4 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. anise seed or flavoring
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup milk
rind and juice of 1 large orange
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup diced maraschino cherries

Note:  I felt that this recipe could use more cherries and a little coarser walnuts..Having said that my opinion is that this is a great cake to serve and it is not too sweet..Just perfect! A cup of Java by its side!!  Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours!  

Mix well eggs, shortening, sugar,salt, rind of orange and its juice
Add dry ingredients alternating with milk
Fold in cherries and nuts and mix until blended
Pour into greased and floured 2 qt. tube pan( I used Bunt pan)
Bake 375 degrees for 1 hour..

More cherries and walnuts if you like.




Post a Comment