Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Sauteed Shrimp in coconut oil and butter

I had bought a bottle of organic coconut oil sometime earlier this year and kept hesitating using it.  I knew I'd probably like it but just didn't know what to expect.  It comes in solid form and is white so I think that's what kept me from using it in a recipe. It wasn't eye appealing and it reminded me of lard or crisco so I'm sure that why I was hesitant.

A little know fact about coconut oil is that it has various uses.  As you read the label you find that food preparation is just one of it's benefits. You can use it on your skin and hair too as a moisturizer.

Also there is a hint of coconut smell and taste to it so being a coconut lover I didn't mind it at all and actually thought it might enhance this recipe because who doesn't like coconut shrimp?  I immediately noticed the taste but my hubby did not.  So it isn't that aromatic but my first taste I noticed a hint of coconut flavor.






Here's the ingredients as well as directions and photos.  Enjoy!




1 1/2 to 2 T Coconut oil(you can use a little more if you are using all coconut oil)
2 T butter
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ginger(optional)
1 lemon, cut in quarters
3/4 lb. cleaned and deveined cooked shrimp
2 T chopped fresh parsley (I happened to still have fresh parsley)You can used dried parsley.
Several chopped chives or if you don't have chives one or two  chopped green onions would work too.  
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 plum tomato cut in 4 ,remove seeds and cut/chop into pieces
salt and pepper to taste
angel hair pasta cooked a'dente
Note:  Save a little pasta water to add to moisten PASTA


Place coconut oil and butter in MEDIUM size saute pan on low.  Allow to melt, add minced garlic,parsley, chives, 1/2 squeezed lemon, and cayenne pepper.  Add cooked shrimp and chopped tomato. Toss and cook for a minute or two.  Do not overcook because shrimp will get tough.   Add pasta and a little pasta water(1/2 cup) to mixture and toss with grated Italian(Pecorino Romano) cheese. Garnish or squeese the other lemon wedge!  Yummy!

Note:  If you want to use all coconut oil you can.  I was hesitant because I didn't know if it would have enough flavor so that is why I added the butter.  Also add more garlic too if you like a lot of garlic. Go for it!

Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

10/3/15

No comments: