Monday, February 20, 2017

Chicken Continental

 Stove top meal tonight.  New photo.  2/18/2024

All prepared in a large as well as deep pan.




Frozen peas with butter as our side.

A Family Favorite that the grandchildren never tire of.  It's yummy and easy to make. 

Fyi:  This meal can easily be made on your stovetop.




 Enjoy! 




Yes this is a recipe that my mother-in-law made and one I made it bacame one of my Dad's favorite meals.  My mom tried to duplicate it but he always winked when he ate hers and when he got me aside would say "I like yours better". Wow how I loved his compliments especially food related cause my Mom was a great cook and him saying that made me feel elated.  It would be one of those memories I'll keep in my heart forever.  Hope you enjoy all these recipes that are dear to my heart <3.

The recipe is below and background of why it's one of our favorites.  



My mother-in-law made this very tasty dish over thirty years ago and I see recipes today with a similar version.  I think you can do this on the stove and be just as pleased but not to change her recipe I wrote it as she had it written.  She also added grated Italian cheese to top it.  It has been my son's favorite from day one when his Nonni made it.  Fond memories of his growing up with his Italian grandmother. 


My mom is on the left holding our son and Nonni is on the right holding our daughter.

I think they only thing Italian about this recipe is the added Italian cheese! LOL

 
My granddaughter Zoe is visiting and she had asked what her Dad's favorite meal was and I told her.  She immediately text him (new generation) to ask him and was totally amazed how I knew he would immediately reply CHICKEN CONTINENTAL.

  She kept saying to me "I can't believe how you knew" that?  I told her mom's remember stuff like that. :).  Food memories are unforgettable.  Have a great day and make some food memories too!
I finely grated the onion and celery to cook faster.






4 to 6 boneless chicken breasts (cut in 2 inch pieces)
1 stick butter
1 stalk celery chopped fine
1 small onion grated
1 large can or two small cans cream of chicken soup
equal amounts of water
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups minute rice or use 1 1/2 cups if you want a little more sauce.(liquid)

My grandchildren love lots of rice so that is why I add a little more and if it is too thick you can always add a little chicken broth to thin it. 

(Note: It's Always a good idea to keep a few cans of chicken broth for quick thinning of a recipe)
2 T. grated Italian cheese(optional)
Melt butter.  Saute butter, celery and onion.  Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.


In a large skillet place butter.  Over medium heat when butter is melted add onion and celery.. Saute until tender.  Add chicken, salt and pepper and cook slowly until chicken is browned.  Remove chicken from pan. Place in a dish and cover.  To the butter, celery, onion mixture add chicken soup and equal parts of water.  Stir to combine and cook until all is smooth.  Add chicken and cook for a little while longer. 

In a large pyrex pan place chicken.  Combine **1 1/2 cups or 2 cups if you like it thicker) minute rice with chicken soup mixture. Pour over chicken and cover with foil.  Place in 325 degree oven and bake approx. 10 to 15 minutes. (until mixture has thickened)  Serve immediately.

If desired you can top with grated Pecorino Romano Cheese.


1/10/14
2/20/17

No comments: