Friday, January 2, 2015

Healthy Tuna, red peppers,zucchini and pasta

 I don't make New Year's Resolutions but I am going to try with all my might to get back to basics and cut back a little on the fat and carbs in my daily meals.

  My blog is about my liking to bake and cook and I'll be posting all types of recipes but I will continue to post some healthy options for those of us who are trying to lose a few pounds (me) or just want to put a healthy lifestyle on the top of our 2015 list.  Goals are good so my goal is to try some new recipes and share them with you while losing a few pounds.  Summer isn't that far away and I'd sure like my clothes not to tug and pull. LOL

I'm going to try some WW recipes too!  I have tried some and they seem to incorporate a healthy lifestyle well into your busy daily schedule using basic foods which I am all for.  I like basic ingredients and don't like to have to run around looking for ingredients I do not have or that are not easily found.

Join me and we'll give each other encouragement on the way.

Remember though there are going to be days temptation will be surrounding us so just make the portions a bit smaller and we'll do just fine.

 I have been browsing thru magazines trying to find some new light salad recipes that we might enjoy.   I haven't tried this one yet but reading the ingredients brought it quickly to my attention.  Give it a try, I'm going to!

1 lb. orecchiete or medium size pasta of choice
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped
1 zucchini thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped pitted olives
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1- 5 oz. can oil packed tuna drained (healthier option tuna packed in water)
2 to 4 T extra virgin olive oil (2 T use with oil packed tuna, 4 T if using tuna packed in water)
1/4 cup grated or shaved Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to directions.  Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water
Combine peppers, zucchini, olives, parsley, tuna and olive oil in a large bowl.  Drain pasta add to bowl and toss, adding pasta water 1/4 cup at a time to create a loose sauce. Top with cheese


No comments: